Thursday, June 7, 2012

Growing Vegetables in pots


The only help my mom ever asked me was to get vegetables or curry patta from our garden. And I used to run outside with a colander and fill it with fresh vegetables. I don’t know why but picking fresh vegetables always gives me a sense of deep satisfaction.
 I always wished I had a garden like the one back home. When we moved to our rented apartment in Vasant Kunj, My father-in-law helped me turn my extended Balcony into a beautiful garden. That's when I started experimenting and got to know that even vegetables can be grown on pots. Here’s how you do it.

Preparing the pot – Put a few stones at the base of the container and then fill it with soil. The soil should be porous and not water retentive. For each pot, I put one fistful of sand and one of manure. I also add 2 spoons of Vermicompost for a healthy growth.
Dig a 1/2 inch hole and plant the seeds and water them at least twice a day.  The vegetables that I have grown on pots are Spinach, Lady’s finger, Broccoli, Karela, Beans, tomato, Methi saag, laal saag, hara saag, coriander and chillies. The saplings come out within 7-10 days and have to be transplanted.

Karela/Bitter Gourd Sapling

Once transplanted, the creeper needs to be given a support.
It's best to grow this near a wall
where the creeper can take a rope's support to climb

Bhindi/Lady's finger Sapling. I transplanted them after a week

Flowers of a Lady's finger/Bhindi. 


Lady's finger - 7 plants give a good enough yield every week for a family of two - three

Spinach and Coriander - I used a plastic basket, to grow these.
 Ensure you drill a hole at the bottom  of the tub/basket

Laal Saag

Chillies

Beans 

Broccoli

Name of vegetable
Approx. Sowing time
Method of Planting
Karela/Bitter Gourd
March-April
Transplant within 5-7 weeks
Lady’s Finger/Bhindi
March - April
Transplant within 5-7 weeks
Spinach
Throughout the year
No Transplanting
Laal Saag
Throughout the year
No Transplanting
Coriander
Throughout the year
No Transplanting
Chilly
Throughout the year
Transplant within 5-7 weeks
Beans
Sep-Oct
Transplant within 5-7 weeks
Broccoli
Sep-Oct
Transplant within 5-7 weeks

I hope you also enjoy growing vegetables in pots. For a family of two-three, depending on the type of vegetable, it is advisable to have at least 4-7 plants of each type. You can sow two plants of beans in a single pot, that ways you can have 6 plants in 3 pots. Two plants of karela are good enough while 7-8 plants of bhindi is good enough to make bhindi sabji once a week. 
If you too have experimented growing vegetables in pots, do share your suggestions and experiences.









8 comments:

  1. Can you elaborate a little more on the transplanting process? the hows and the dos and dont's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transplanting or replanting is the technique of moving the plant from one location to another. In my case, I sow many seeds in small pots( For example if I need 10 plants of lady’s finger, then I would have sowed approx. 25 seeds, since I do not know how many will germinate) The saplings come out within 10 days and they are usually transplanted after 2-3 weeks. I allocate the pots in which the plant would finally be transferred, prepare the soil and leave it for a day. I transplant the next evening.
      It is important to transplant in the evening as the plants establish better at night when the temperature is low.
      First you should water the sapling as well as the bigger pots in which you will finally transplant the sapling. Use garden tools like a small trovel or a hand hoe to get the plants out of the original location alongwith a little mud on the roots. Never pull the plant out with your hand as it damages the roots. Dig a hole in the bigger pot such that the root can fit in it comfortably. Place the sapling in the hole and gently press the soil around it. Irrigate immediately. After transplanting, saplings should be irrigated at least twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening.

      Delete
  2. It was really a good blog...loved it. My company has given us radish, lady's finger and beans seeds as part of Go Green...I didn't know what to do with it until i saw your blog. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good blog. You mentioned as an answer to a question about the process of transplanting. Can you also let us know what are the steps of sowing the seeds - like any special soil for seed germination or it should be the same soil in which the transplanting would be done, any special care till the seed germinates?

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When i am sowing seeds in my containers, i put about half an inch of Vermicompost and i sow the seeds as per the instruction on the pack. usually we make tiny beds for flowers and vegetables and for saag like methi, palak etc i sprinkle the seed and then mix it into the vermicompost. basically the seed should not be deep inside the container. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sangeetha, can I grow lady finger in pots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruchir...thanks for going through my blog. Yes you can grow ladiesfingers in pots, have provided the details and pictures of it in this blog. Thanks.

      Delete